My course dates are now set for the year. It’s always a juggling exercise to fit everything in, especially as I have again been asked to attend scythe course and events around the UK and Europe. This year I’m aiming to run courses in some crafts that are otherwise under-represented. I’m particularly looking forward to the weekend on birch bark when we will dispel the myth that British bark is not good enough for box making and which I hope will act as a springboard for a new movement in working with this lovely tactile material.
My courses are based near Kendal in the glorious Lake District. Sprint Mill is a terrific place in it’s own right, full of old tools, wood and inspiration. There is accomodation nearby to suit any pocket, from camping and hostels to 5-star hotels.
Green wood workshops
- Fan Bird Carving 27 May – £70
- Working with Birch Bark 2-3 June – £125
- Spoon carving 12-13 May as part of NW Coppice Association’s ‘Weekend in the Woods‘
- Rake Making 3-7 september as part of NW Coppice Association’s ‘Woodland Pioneers’ week.
As well as greenwood work, I teach the modern art of mowing with a scythe on these popular courses in Cumbria and around the UK. For more information please visit scytherspace.
- Learn to Mow with an Austrian Scythe 26 May, 30 June, 9 Sept 2012 – £60 per day
- Scythe Improvers 11 Aug – £70
- Improve your Peening 12 Aug 2012 – £60 Book both Improvers’ courses together for £115
Please note: you must be over 18 to attend these courses.