Eight months after the fire and I’m still getting my tool kit back together. It’s interesting to see which have been the first to be repaired and which have waited longer. Partly this is down to what I’ve been making this year.
My Gransfors carving axe was top of the list for repair and it’s the one thing I really felt lost without it, the weight and shape of it just suits my and my carving so it got rehandled and sharpened before anything else. The sheath is made from oak bark tanned leather from J & FJ Baker of Devon.
I do much more carving these days than turning so my pole-lathe tools were further down the list and I’ve just finished handling and sharpening them up over the xmas break . The handles are simply carved from hazel in the round. They’ll never be hit with a mallet so don’t need to be strong. I find the texture of a carved surface gives me better grip and the different patterns make it easier to pick up the right tool from a rack.
Still a few more things to do, particularly my chisels which will have ash handles turned to fit the original ferrules – hence needing the turning tools. Make a tool to make a tool..